Saturday 10 April 2010

Chicken Pie Has Begun

Everyone know that you really should make your own stock. I confess to being a little lazy in this department but for my dinner tomorrow night where I want to impress I have done the right thing.

My very smart chicken was butchered for me beautifully at Watirose in readiness for it's destiny in my pie. I roasted the the remaining carcass and bits and pieces along with two packs of wings before covering in cold water and adding leek, carrot, onion, garlic, thyme and celery and simmering gently for three and a half hours.

Here's how it looked at the start.



And here's how it looked three and a half hours later.

Brown Chicken Stock.

 
It smelled delicious and I was a bit peckish by the time it was done at about 10.00pm so I had a little private feast from the soft and tender meat clinging onto the wings and the delicious soft carrots!

I'm off for a run in the park now with my new Nike+ for the first time, I'll set the timer for thirty minutes and see how I do.  It's been a very long time since I ran out in the real world and I suspect that I'll find it very hard work.  But any calories burned in preperation for tonight's binge will be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for my newsletter for updates and offers - http://bit.ly/dQVCq5